The June Workshop was held a week earlier than normal to avoid the public holiday in Victoria next week. For interested Members, there was also a Masterclass conducted by Victor L. to show members how to grow a triple trunk Trident Maple.
Masterclass – While developing a triple trunk Trident maple will involve many years of growing, trimming and shaping, the starting point is straightforward. See notes below.
- Select seeds from a tree with the desired leaf shape and grow seedlings.
- Use an aluminium plate with three holes to achieve the initial placement of the seedlings. See photo below.
- Wire the seedlings to keep the trunks apart and pot with about 3cms of soil above the aluminium plate.
- Balance the seedling growth so each trunk has a different diameter. During this period, also start to develop the styling of the trunks and branches.
- A growth period in the ground may assist.
- When roots growing above the plate fuse together, you cut off the roots below the plate and remove the plate.
- Continue to style the “tree” as it grows and develops.
The following tree is an example of what can be achieved with this technique.
In addition to the Masterclass, there was much activity as tree styling was reviewed and actions taken to implement any desired changes. Examples are included below.